FY27 EU expansion plan (full context)
draft 4 · 2,900 words · please read before thursday
Background. Over the last three quarters inbound from EU-based companies has grown from 11% to 26% of new signups without any marketing spend in the region, and our largest churn reason among those accounts is the lack of EU data residency and local invoicing in euros, which came up in 14 of the 22 exit interviews we ran in Q2. We currently serve these customers from US infrastructure with USD-only billing and no local support coverage, which means tickets from CET time zones wait an average of 9.4 hours for a first response versus 1.8 hours for US customers. The sales team has also reported losing at least six mid-market deals in the last two quarters specifically on GDPR and residency requirements, with a combined estimated ACV of roughly €610k, and we believe this understates the real number because many prospects self-disqualify before a conversation.
Proposal. We propose a three-phase expansion beginning in Q1 FY27. Phase one (Q1) establishes EU data residency on a Frankfurt region, introduces euro invoicing through our existing billing provider, and completes the GDPR documentation and DPA templates legal has already scoped at approximately 60 hours of outside counsel. Phase two (Q2) opens a small Dublin office initially staffed with a regional sales lead, two account executives, and two support engineers covering CET hours, with the office itself being a flexible lease at roughly €9k per month. Phase three (Q3 to Q4) adds a partner channel through two to three EU systems integrators we have already had preliminary conversations with, plus localized pricing for the UK, DACH and Nordics where purchasing power and competitor pricing differ materially from the US.
Financials. Total incremental spend across FY27 is estimated at €2.1M, of which €1.4M is headcount (12 hires phased across the year), €0.3M is infrastructure and residency, €0.2M is legal and compliance, and €0.2M is the office and travel. Against this we are targeting €4.2M in new EU ARR by the end of FY27, which assumes we convert the current inbound at our US rates plus a 30% uplift from residency and local billing removing the top churn and loss reasons, and that the partner channel contributes roughly 15% of the total in the back half. Payback on the full investment is modeled at 19 months on the base case, 14 on the upside, and 31 on the downside where the partner channel contributes nothing.
Risks. The main risks are, first, that hiring in Dublin takes longer than planned, which would push phase two by a quarter and reduce FY27 ARR by roughly €0.8M; second, that residency work uncovers architectural issues in how we shard customer data, which engineering rates as a medium likelihood and which could add two months; third, currency exposure, which finance proposes to hedge quarterly; and fourth, that we spread the team thin while the US pipeline is still our main growth engine. We believe the second risk is the one most worth a decision now, because a two-month engineering spike started in Q4 this year would de-risk phase one substantially at a cost of about €120k.
Decisions needed. We need a decision on whether to approve the full three-phase plan or phase one only with a checkpoint in Q1; whether to fund the Q4 engineering spike now; and whether the Dublin office should be a flexible lease or fully remote for the first year. Detailed hiring plan, the residency architecture memo, and the partner conversations summary are attached as appendices A through C.